in ,

Everything You Need to Know About Notification of Place of Residence (TM30 Form)

The landlord must submit Form TM30 within 24 hours of the foreigner’s arrival. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to THB 2,000 per person being imposed on the landlord.

The TM30 reporting procedure is a Thai immigration requirement. The form is designed to assist keeping track of foreigners – tourists and expats – whilst in Thailand. It must be completed by the owner or landlord to report the stay of guests within 24 hours of their arrival.

As with many things in Thailand the enforcement will not be uniformly applied and some people may get away without reporting, maybe for years. But if Immigration do check, and you haven’t been doing the required reporting, then fines and other immigration problems will follow.

We’ve tried to simplify the TM30 to these main points.

If you’re staying at a hotel, the hotel will do the registration for you after you’ve checked in. But it also applies to the following…

  • If you own and live in a home in Thailand
  • If you’re staying with a Thai friend
  • If you’re staying a property that isn’t properly licensed

The TM30 form is designed to report foreigners locations during their short or long-term stay in Thailand. If you are staying in a condo or apartment block, the owner must register your stay.

The rationale from the Thai government is that the TM30 provides a way to monitor the ‘goodies’ but also the ‘baddies’, in the hope of deterring foreign criminals to choose Thailand as a place to hide out.

The law governing the TM30 form was introduced a long time with the Hotel Act of 2005, but has since expanded beyond hotels to cover landlords owning property or apartments that are not classified as hotels. Authorities believed this was necessary to include the rental of condos and other unlicensed premises rented out to paying guests, such as room-sharing apps like AirBnB. The rules also apply to Thais  hosting foreigners.

The report must be completed by hotels, serviced apartments or by landlords of private properties. It is the landlord’s responsibility to submit the TM30.

If you are staying in a friend’s house, your friend still needs to submit the TM30 form. The same applies to a foreigner married to a Thai and carries a Thai visa.

If you’re an expat living permanently in Thailand and travel to other places within the country – any other address other than your usual home address – you need to inform immigration once you’ve returned.

This is what you need to fill in a TM30…

  • Copy of your departure card
  • Copy of your passport photo page
  • Copy of your most recent visa stamp page

The landlord or reporting person needs…

  • Copy of the title deed to their property
  • Copy of the rental contract

The TM30 is not the same as 90 day reporting.

Online registration is available HERE, when it’s working. You need to register a username and password then you just login whenever you need to. The fine for not reporting is 1,600 Baht per person.

To protect yourself, as a tenant or guest, you should ask your landlord or accommodation owner if you have already been registered.

What Happens If I Fail to Register?

Whether Thai or foreign landlord living in Thailand, make sure to register new guests within 24 hours.

Even if a guest leaves and then returns a month later, you need to report this again.

The fine for not reporting is 1,600 Baht per person.

As a tenant or guest, you should ask your landlord if you have already been reported. If your landlord is not willing to report you, then you can try moving to another place or you can report yourself on his/her behalf. That being said, to report yourself you need the aforementioned documents from your landlord.

There are cases when long-term tenants find out that they haven’t been reported by their landlords, and these issues often arise at the Immigration department either for a 90-day check-in or visa renewal.

If you’re a foreigner who has been staying in a property for a couple of days, you might want to befriend your landlord and enquire as to whether you have been reported.

Q&A Summary

Do I need to register if:

Q. I am staying in a hotel?

A. No. The hotel will do it.

Q. I am staying with a friend/ partner?

A. No, you don’t. But yes, the person you are staying with needs to register.

Q. More than one person is staying at my property?

A. Yes.

Q. I am living in my own home?

A. Yes.

Q. I am a co-owner of a home?

A. Yes.

Q. I left my primary residence and went on holiday in Thailand, then came back again to my primary residence?

A. Yes. The hotel would have registered you when you arrived, so when you return to your primary residence you will need to register again.

This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!


What do you think?

405 Points
Upvote Downvote

Written by Thailand Bloggers

Thailand Bloggers is Thailand’s first community for thai and foreign bloggers who write about Thailand. Create your account and join our community. Let’s share and have fun here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.



LineMan App: A door to door delivery solution like no other

Thailand Approves 4 New Cryptocurrency Service Providers